Mayan glyphs

Minor in Anthropology

The minor in anthropology consists of a minimum of 18 units in anthropology to include:

  • 6 units (two courses) selected from:
    • Anthropology 101
    • Anthropology 102
    • Anthropology 103
  • 12 upper division units in anthropology

Courses in the minor may not be counted toward the major, but may be used to satisfy preparation for the major and general education requirements, if applicable. A minimum of six upper division units must be completed in residence at San Diego State University.

Please see our courses page for a descriptions of Anthropology courses.

Important Links

Undergraduate Advisor

Sam D. Kobari
Office: AL-474
Email: [email protected]

What subject areas does Anthropology cover?

Anthropology has four subfields: biological anthropology, sociocultural anthropology, archaeology, and linguistic anthropology.

Do I need to officially declare my Anthropology minor before I begin to take classes?

No! You can register for many of our classes before officially declaring the minor. The only exception to this are the “core” 300-level courses (ANTH 301, 302, 303, 304) and any courses that require those as prerequisites. To declare the minor, please bring a Change of Major/Minor Form to the Anthropology Undergraduate Adviser to sign. You will return the signed form to the Office of the Registrar in SSW 1641.

Does it matter which two of the preparatory classes I take (ANTH 101, 102, or 103)?

No. While you need to take two of those three courses, it does not matter which two you take. However, it’s a good idea to choose the two courses that best align with your interest in the Anthropology minor.

Can I register for one of the core Anthropology upper division courses (ANTH 301, 302, 303, or 304)?

Yes! These courses are reserved for Anthropology majors and minors only. They are designed to provide deeper coverage of one of the four subfields.

Can I register for a 500-level Anthropology course?

Yes! However, keep in mind that all of our 500-level courses have mandatory prerequisites, often of a specific 300-level course. You are responsible for satisfying all prerequisites, but it is possible to satisfy the prerequisite in the same semester that you are enrolled in the 500-level course. Note that 500-level courses are mixed graduate/undergraduate courses, but there will be different requirements for undergraduate students than for the graduate students in the class.

Do I have to get a particular grade in a course in order for it to count for the minor?

The only courses that have grade requirements are ANTH 101, 102 and 103, if you are preparing to become an Anthropology major. You need to earn a C or higher in each of these courses to enter the major. There is no specific grade you need for the Anthropology minor or for upper division courses in the major. However, you need to maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 in several categories in order to qualify for graduation. Please refer to the Grade Point Averages Requirements section of your catalog for further information.